‘Councils Could do More to Encourage Use of Domestic Renewable Energy – and Help Save the Planet’ Says Leading Eco Firm Boss, Matthew Criddle, Naturesave
(PRWeb UK) January 31, 2011
The head of pioneering eco insurance provider, Naturesave, Matthew Criddle, says councils could do more to help save the Planet, by kick starting the adoption of renewable energy sources, like solar heating, in domestic environments.
“We need to get on with this,” says Matthew. “Once one house in a street has installed Solar PV, a neighbour will follow suit and so on… the planet will benefit!’
“Local authorities should share experiences of planning permissions, to kickstart the take-up of renewable energy sources in domestic environments.”
“Planning offices need more training to implement environmental legislation.
Local authorities need to exchange experiences of planning permission granted by other local authorities to gain confidence in their ability to ‘fast track’ future applications.”
Matthews comments come as Naturesave launches its pioneering domestic renewable household energy insurance policy.
Now, for the first time, eco conscious householders will be able to insure their wind turbines or solar panels as part of their standard household insurance, without having to seek separate cover.
The only cover of its kind in the UK, the Naturesave Household Renewable Energy insurance policy is designed to ensure that environmentally aware households, who have installed their own ‘green energy’ systems, have cover for the system equipment and guaranteed protection for the revenues they earn from generating renewable energy at their home.
The policy has been developed in response to rising demand for home energy systems, due to concerns about the environment and rising fuel prices.
The Naturesave Household Renewable Energy insurance policy includes cover for material damage, public liability, mechanical breakdown and loss of revenue and is designed to meet the huge growth in households installing their own renewable energy systems following the recent introduction of the Feed-in Tariffs (FITs) for renewable Energy.
Renewable energy technology is becoming more efficient and affordable, and home owners are now seeing the benefits of renewable energy in terms of generating income and making cost savings as well as reducing their environmental impact.
Under the FITs payments will be made to householders and communities who generate their own electricity from renewable or low carbon sources such as solar electricity (PV) panels, wind turbines, hydro, anaerobic digestion and combined heat and power systems. The scheme guarantees a minimum payment for all electricity generated by the system, in addition to a separate payment for the electricity exported to grid, and any savings made on the electricity bill by using the electricity generated. The monies paid depend on the type of renewable energy system and the amount of electricity produced. These payments are in addition to the bill savings made by using the electricity generated on-site. The amount a household could expect to save depends on the renewable energy system opted for.
Naturesave Insurance is planning to include renewable energy insurance as standard in it’s household insurance policies. The policy covers domestic renewable energy systems for:
● Material damage (lightning, storm, theft, impact, vandalism etc)
● Public liability insurance (third party property damage and bodily injury)
● Machinery breakdown (over and above that covered by any existing warranty)
● Loss of revenue (caused by material damage or machinery breakdown)
Matthew Criddle, Managing Director says ‘Naturesave has been at the leading edge of ethical and environmental insurance for 15 years, and this new product is a natural addition to our household policy. We already give discounts to householders for energy saving measures in their homes and many of our existing household insurance clients currently have renewable energy systems installed. We are pleased to be able to include this additional cover and understand that it is the only product of its kind in the UK at the moment.’
Cover will be provided for housesholds with those types of renewable energy installation (eligible for FITs) including wind turbines, solar photovoltaics, hydro systems, micro combined heat and power and anaerobic digestion. At this stage cover will be available on systems up to 50kW, installed through the Microgeneration Certification Scheme.
Naturesave is launching this new product in January 2011. More information can be found at our website at http://www.naturesave.co.uk/home%20buildings%20contents.html.
More information about Feed-in Tariffs and the levels for each type of renewable energy system can be found on the Department of Energy and Climate Change website:
Naturesave differs from other insurance companies in four ways:
1. 10% of the premium from Naturesave’s household buildings and contents policies go into the Naturesave Trust, which provides grants for environmental and conservation projects. The Naturesave Trust, has invested over £240,000 in eco projects since it began. There are also eco living discounts offered for clients who are already making changes to their energy consumption.
2. When you take out a commercial policy with Naturesave, an independent advisor will offer to visit your business premises to conduct a free environmental survey, and recommend how your working practices could be made more energy efficient and environmentally friendly.
3. The Naturesave Trust rewards carbon offsetting practice with grants, which are available to any Commercial Combined material damage and liability policy holder who offsets their carbon emissions through partner, co2balance.
4. Naturesave also acts as a lobbying force, advising and influencing insurance companies on how they can encourage the adoption of sustainable practices.
● Naturesave was set up in 1993 by Matthew Criddle and is based in Totnes in Devon.
● Naturesave offers a comprehensive range of insurance including: household and insurance policies, charity and not for profit insurance, liability and professional indemnity, engineering, marine, travel and contractors insurance.
● Naturesave insurance is a trading style of Naturesave Policies Ltd, which is regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
To arrange interviews and images please contact dawnbebe(at)weareonshore(dot)com 07831 790416 or janegeran(at)weareonshore(dot)com 07788 441357
# # #
, Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC.
Vocus, PRWeb, and Publicity Wire are trademarks or registered trademarks of Vocus, Inc. or Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC.