Cost Advise Home Insurance Policy Holders to Revisit Their Cover

Cost Advise Home Insurance Policy Holders to Revisit Their Cover

Online comparison website

(PRWEB UK) 19 July 2012

Online comparison experts at are specialists in sourcing the right and the best deals for their consumers on variety of subjects across insurance, money, travel and utilities. The comparison professionals are also dedicated to producing regular informational guides and advice on those subjects. The latest advice concerns home insurance, specifically assessing the appropriate levels of cover against the reasons to insure your home after a recent survey found that one in ten Brits do not have sufficient house insurance.

Cost’s insurance specialist shares his view on the matter:

“Although house insurance policies are not a legal requirement, you’re home is most likely your prize possession so it would be prudent to have insurance- and you probably wouldn’t be able to qualify for a mortgage without it”.

“After recent statistics reveal that over 1.5m householders are not covering their homes with both buildings and contents insurance, Cost examines the most recent and relevant reasons to take out both forms of protection”.

    Weather: 2012 has seen a mixture of extreme variances in weather (already one reason to fully protect your home). Severe winds at the beginning of the year affected homes nationwide causing roof damage, broken chimneys and fences and much more.

April and May saw widespread drought after a lack of rain- a main cause of building subsidence. And the next month rain was the culprit after the wettest June on record causing mass flooding and water damage to more than 3,000 homes in the UK.

Needless to say, if you live in a flood-prone area you definitely should have contents and buildings insurance as well as special flood insurance if these policies do not provide flood protection cover.

    Homeless: If you only have home contents and not buildings insurance, you may find yourself with nowhere to live if your home becomes inhabitable. Buildings insurance policy holders will be covered in such event and will be provided alternative accommodation as stated in the insurer’s policy.

    Multi-policies discount: Like most insurance policies available today for cars and gadgets etc, many insurers will give you a discount for taking out two different home insurance policies (i.e. buildings and contents).

    Did you know: Some insurers provide protection over things like sheds, fences, BBQs and even plants, in their buildings insurance policies.

The Cost team also regularly publish the latest news and developments concerning issues surrounding money, insurance, travel and utilities.

Based in Essex, Cost is one of the UK’s leading price comparison sites. Allowing their online customers access to companies offering a range of insurance (including wedding insurance), financial and travel services, the firm specialise in providing a personal experience. Founded in 2012, the agency has a trusted reputation for sourcing the most ideal policies at affordable prices.

Vocus©Copyright 1997-

, Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC.
Vocus, PRWeb, and Publicity Wire are trademarks or registered trademarks of Vocus, Inc. or Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC.

Does my home insurance cover my boat?

Mike Schmisek – Farmers Insurnace, discusses whether or not your home insurance extends to boats, jet skis, and yachts.

Most policies contribute small amounts to trees, shrubs and lawns, but check to make sure you understand what is covered.

Home Buildings And Contents Insurance – The Most Important Cover of All

Article by Tom Jones

Let’s face it; the average home owner nowadays is in debt. They’re paying off a mortgage, they’re paying off a car and most are paying credit card bills as well after having gone out shopping for a new flat screen TV, or the latest surround sound system.

You don’t often come across families any more who are willing to keep the same old fridge for twenty years. Instead, most couples replace household appliances continuously and this usually means they’re constantly in debt.

With all that debt around your neck, do you really believe you could afford to purchase a second home in the event your current one got ravaged by fire? Perhaps you’re unfortunate enough to get hit by flooding, something which seems to be happening ever more frequently in the UK lately. Sure, flood waters may not sweep your home away, but they’ll certainly cause severe damage to your property and possibly to your belonging as well.

With this in mind, is it really worth taking a chance, considering buildings and contents insurance is for the most part very affordable. After all, nobody can predict when a disaster will strike and neither can you be sure it’ll never happen to you. In fact, there was severe flooding in many parts of the UK just recently and one can only wonder how many of those who were affected are unable to rebuild their lives simply because they had chosen to go without insurance.

Buildings and contents insurance actually refers to two different types of insurance, although in the vast majority of cases, the two are provided alongside each other. This is mostly because people, who realise the importance of builds insurance, also realise how important contents insurance is and providing you get both types of cover from the same provider, a huge discount is usually made available to you. So, what are the main differences between the two types of cover?

Buildings insurance covers the structure of your property. In other words, it covers the building itself, together with all fixtures such as fitted kitchens, fitted bathrooms, fitted cupboards and etc. It also covers any outbuildings on the property, as well as your perimeter wall or fence. Ideally, when you take out buildings insurance, you need to make sure the amount you’re covered for is enough to rebuild your home if the need ever arises.

Generally speaking, the insurance company will advise you as to how much cover you require, bearing in mind that the cost of re-building is always less than the market value, simply because even if your home is destroyed, you’ll still have the land it stood on.

When purchasing contents insurance, you need to focus on what’s referred to as being the ‘sum insured’. Basically, this is the maximum amount of money your insurance company will pay in the event of a claim. Don’t be tempted to set this figure too high in the hope of getting more out of your insurance company. The insurance company will not pay out the full sum, but instead, they’ll pay you what they believe your possessions were worth, even though you would have been paying higher premiums. On the other hand, if you set the figure too low, the amount of money you receive won’t be sufficient enough to replace all your belongings. The key is to be as honest as possible and as accurate as possible.

Perhaps the most important thing of all when choosing home buildings and contents insurance, is that you need to shop around for different quotes and of course you really do need to make sure you understand exactly what is and what isn’t covered in a policy before you accept it. Remember, if you don’t fully understand your policy, you could end up providing your insurance company with an opportunity to avoid paying you out if you ever submit a claim.

About the Author

If you’re looking for a quote on buildings and contents insurance visit Swinton.

Use and distribution of this article is subject to our Publisher Guidelines
whereby the original author’s information and copyright must be included.

New Year, New Look? Wisconsin Insurance Broker Jackson Kahl Insurance Helps Local Businesses Cover Their New Property

New Year, New Look? Wisconsin Insurance Broker Jackson Kahl Insurance Helps Local Businesses Cover Their New Property

Fon du Lac, Wisconsin (PRWEB) January 12, 2012

It’s a new year and the team at Wisconsin insurance broker Jackson Kahl Insurance knows that many business owners may be kicking off 2012 by expanding or moving to a new business premises. As companies prepare to get their new space up and running, one thing that needs to be considered is how they will protect their new investment. Even companies that have had comprehensive coverage in the past may find that they have new insurance needs when they begin to expand or relocate. So, when it comes to reviewing their business insurance, Illinois companies should consider whether or not their property coverage needs a boost.

In order to help its commercial lines clients make a smooth transition into the new year, Jackson Kahl Insurance offers the following tips on how to ensure that business property is properly covered:

Review a property insurance policy at least once annually or whenever renovations or moves are completed. Business property insurance coverage limits should be set high enough so that the company would be able to rebuild the structure and replace possessions at current market prices.
Plan ahead for Mother Nature. Most commercial property insurance does not cover flood or storm damage, although these policies can be purchased separately.
Consider the extras; endorsements, that is. Depending on the nature of a business, errors and omissions coverage, excess liability insurance and commercial vehicle insurance may be necessary. In addition to property insurance, companies may consider purchasing ordinance or law coverage, which can help cover the costs of property upgrades that are completed so that the structure conforms with building codes.

Expanding or revamping a business can be exciting, but the team at Jackson Kahl Insurance knows that it’s essential to cover all of the bases with the business insurance Illinois companies need. From property to liability, the insurance experts can help any business start the new year off with comprehensive and affordable coverage.

About Jackson Kahl Insurance:

As an independent insurance agency founded in 1956, Jackson Kahl has the experience and knowledge to meet all of its clients’ needs. With qualified, creative and understanding agents who have access to the top insurance carriers in the country, Jackson Kahl Insurance can find every customer a great Wisconsin, Illinois or Iowa insurance policy at an affordable rate.


Vocus©Copyright 1997-

, Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC.
Vocus, PRWeb, and Publicity Wire are trademarks or registered trademarks of Vocus, Inc. or Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC.

Find More Business Property Insurance Press Releases